CUB Off Road C/T

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 29, 2010 at 17:23
ThreadID: 81032 Views:8000 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
HI All

Went to the Rocky Home Show this weekend with the intent to look at Hard Floor Camping Trailers.
My wife and I have just completed a 3 month journey thru the Kimberley with a soft floor trailer and we found that putting it up and down almost continuously strained her already sore back plus even with a tarp on some of the free camp sites did not stop the red dirt from getting on your clothes etc.
We were very impressed with the Cub range of Off Road Campers at a reasonable price compared to Aussie Swag, Aust Off Road and Kimberley.
I am aware of the old age saying you get what you pay for and I wonder if you really need some of the items on the more expensive ones.
My question is - Is there someone out there who has a modern Cub Off Road Camper who can give me their thoughts on what they think of theirs.
Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

Howard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Isuzumu - Sunday, Aug 29, 2010 at 18:53

Sunday, Aug 29, 2010 at 18:53
I do not have one but looked at them seriously....first up price has risen quite a bit in three years so that but me off, anyway kept looking and run across a photo on a site and was NOT impressed with the welding on this one.
It is bloody hard trying to work out what to buy hahaha just read where new caravan sales have increased 20% in the last year, but camper trailers has gone up by 28%, so they can charge what they like.
Try www.myswag.org quite a lot of Cub owners there.
AnswerID: 428855

Reply By: smokie - Sunday, Aug 29, 2010 at 18:55

Sunday, Aug 29, 2010 at 18:55
g/day the wife and i have got a cub offroader we brought it new in 05. so far the only thing we have had go wrong is the 3 way fridge (not a cub fault) we replaced it with weaco. what model are you looking at? we have got the spacevan and tow it with a 04 hilux td. any thing you would like to know feel free to ask
AnswerID: 428856

Follow Up By: Member - Howard T (QLD) - Monday, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:21

Monday, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:21
Hi Smokie

Looking at the Drover off road at the moment but I think I will go to Brisbane and check them out again. Checking them out at the show in Rocky was laced with a lot of enthusiasm and maybe a second look will help.

Thanks for your reply mate its appreciated.

Howard
FollowupID: 699653

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Sunday, Aug 29, 2010 at 19:18

Sunday, Aug 29, 2010 at 19:18
Howard
We have a Cub Spacevan offroad with the Drover pack, apart from some minor issues at the start we have been happy with our choice, we have taken it on some pretty rugged tracks without any problems, but I would suggest lengthening the drawbar by about 100mm to allow easier access to rear doors of vehicle .
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 428860

Reply By: Member - James W (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 29, 2010 at 19:29

Sunday, Aug 29, 2010 at 19:29
At the risk of upsetting a few and remember this is a personal opinion only I can say that my wife and I have visited the factory a few times, As I live in Sydney, and have had a look at them in various stages of build. I would not put my cash down for one, but if you are willing to pay and be happy with the build quality then you may be happy for a while. I think that there are better value for money campers around in the same style, but have a look at the others before looking at a Cub.

Cheers
James
AnswerID: 428862

Reply By: True Blue - Sunday, Aug 29, 2010 at 19:32

Sunday, Aug 29, 2010 at 19:32
Hello Howard.

We (my wife and I) have had our Cub Supamatic XTD 'Off Road' camper for just under 2 years now and love it to bits. We have had a couple of minor issues with it early on when we should have paid a little more attention to weathering the canvas, especially along a seam that runs the length of the roof plus we were not happy initially with the set up shape of the canvas. We had trouble closing the main entrance door zipper after getting most of the wrinkles out of the canvas walls. Our Cub DVD showed us one way and the salesman told us the complete reverse and said that the DVD was wrong. Needless to say that frustrated us big time. In the end we worked it out ourselves by purchasing 2 extra extendable poles that were placed in each corner at the head of the bed. This supported the area that was creating the wrinkles and basically fixed our problem with the closing of the door.

I know this is a little long winded but it describes our experience with our cub to date.

We haven't done a great deal of extended travel with our Cub but we did manage a 3 week trip last year taking in the Painted desert, Oodnadatta, Birdsville and Strezlecki tracks and some 2,500ks of dirt.

Prior to the trip we made sure our clothes were in sealed zipped bags, our food stuffs were in sealed containers and we placed a sheet of clear plastic over our bedding prior to closing the camper each day.

Not once upon opening it up for set up did we find any real intake of dust inside the camper. No doubt there must have been some but it paled into insignificance compared to the amount of dust that is simply in the air. Not to mention what we were bringing inside on our shoes and clothing etc. Our 3 day stay at Birdsville was during severe dust storms and still the camper remained fairly clean considering.

Our friends also had a new Cub camper for this trip and they also found very little dust problem.

Yet another friend on this trip hired a brand spanking new Pioneer camper and this was no better or worse than our Cubs. We were all very impressed with our campers but sadly the new Pioneer was totalled after it rolled near Innamincka.

Improvements since initial purchase :-

1. Ditched the foam mattress (as supplied) and purchased a 170mm inner spring queen size mattress from Ikea (it was on sale at $179).
2. Replaced the sink hand water pump after the original seized.
My wife said to tell you that if she was buying a new camper she would choose to delete the sink from the purchase because we never use it. We have never used the sink as such and always do our dishes in a bucket. If you do use the sink you will probably drain the water into a bucket anyway so why worry about a sink in the first place. Just use a bucket. That's what suits us anyway.
3. We have boxed in the storage area beneath the bed where the sliding kitchen and pantry enter the camper. We found on several occasions that when you slid out either these on several occasions an object stored under the bed fell into the slide out area. Consequently when you attempted to slide the kitchen/pantry back in it would be blocked. Not much fun if the camper is closed. We used an awning pole to clear the space. The result is that we can pack right up to the boxed in area now and has made this space much more efficient. It cost us probably around $40 to do this and it is so worthwhile you wonder why it doesn't come this was from the factory.

If you buy a Cub camper (and probably any camper) the first thing I would check would be the wheel bearings. Both of these on our camper probably had a tea spoon of grease in them. I repacked them and do so after each trip and always keep 2 new greased bearings in a sealed plastic bag with our other goodies.

Would I recommend a Cub??? Bloody oath. We love it.

Again sorry for the length of this response but hopefully it's all good if you see yourself as a potential Cub owner.

Cheers, and happy travels.

Wayne
AnswerID: 428864

Reply By: Outbackogre - Sunday, Aug 29, 2010 at 22:34

Sunday, Aug 29, 2010 at 22:34
Howard, I would endorse what Wayne has said. We have the same trailer and have done many of the same mods and have travelled over similar terrain with a similar positive experience. A couple of minor issues were fixed under warranty. I accept that Cubs may not be as strong as the more expensive units, but then they're not as heavy either and that suits me fine. Rob.
AnswerID: 428897

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Aug 30, 2010 at 07:54

Monday, Aug 30, 2010 at 07:54
We bought our Off Road Cub Supermatic with full annexe brand new in 1988.
Since then it has done many 100's of thousands of k's behind the four 4wd's we've had since without any major problems. We've been on all the iconic tracks as well as some that are no longer accessible. Including several Simpson crossings, carried a tinny and bikes on top at different times, the only trip we didn't take it on was the CSR, expecting a 2H powered troopy with 5 people in it to drag it over all those dunes was too much.
Yes I would agree with all of the above comments re welding quality and general finish but if you are handy, can weld or know someone who can then they can be reinforced and make very good lightweight campers and will last for many years of use. Ours only ever had 14" rims shod with 8 ply LT radials which are tougher than many so called 4wd tyres. Ground clearance has never been an issue, it is higher off the ground than most 4wds after a 100mm lift, just carry wooden blocks to chock the roofrack and legs which in fact makes it easier to erect as the ground doesn't have to be level.
Ours is basically just a tent on wheels, no water tank, no 240v wiring, kitchen, cupboards or frig etc so is very light a around 500kgs loaded with bedding and clothes for five.
As far as reinforcing required PM me and I can give you details, basically just a couple of hours for a tradesman to do the required work, mainly chassis and drawbar bracing. Since doing mine I've never had to weld anything since.
AnswerID: 428903

Reply By: Member - Howard T (QLD) - Monday, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:22

Monday, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:22
Just like to thank everyone for their constructive advice.

It s appreciated.

Howard
AnswerID: 428914

Sponsored Links